Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hey, soul sister.

Now, I know I don't have a legitimate sister, and can't say I've ever had a deep craving for one.
But I have the closest thing next to that. And it is definitely more than I could hope for.

Meet my 'sister' Kelsey.

Photo Credit: Rebekah H.

I love this girl, and the accompanying family that comes with, so very much!
She is the kind of friend who, it doesn't matter if its been days, weeks or months since you last saw her, she is still as close as ever and you can talk about anything with.

She makes me feel good to just be around her, and she challenges me to be a better person.
But when I haven't been 'the better person' that doesn't stop her from loving me the same.

Not only is she special and fun, she is also has celiac disease which makes switching over that much easier since I already have an idea of what to do and what not to eat thanks to years of making Gluten free meals with her.

I spent my Friday night with her. It's amazing how quickly time can pass without having much to show for the hours. We made some cookies, and they are amazing.
And this is well deserved praise coming from the girl who rarely eats her own baking and had not eaten a cookie in months just because I don't like them enough to.

I ate three! And then another two in the morning (by the way, morning after tasted almost as good).
Maybe I just enjoy GF more than I ever would normal food.

Unbelievably fabulous: Gluten Free Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Gluten Free Gobsmacked

Download a copy of this recipe here.

Recipe makes 24 -28 small (1.5 inch) cookies or 12 -18 large (2.5 inch+) cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, cold but not hard
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 egg
1 1/12 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup GF Flour OR 2/3 cup millet flour + 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 GF-certified oats (OR 1/2-2/3 cup sliced almonds)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (OR peanut butter-chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks, etc)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F if baking (not freezing) the cookies.
Cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar for 4 minutes on medium.
Add vanilla and egg. Beat mixture again for 2 minutes on medium-high.
Add peanut butter. Beat again for 2 minutes on medium-high.
Add flour(s), oats, baking soda and salt. Mix again. Dough will be exactly like regular cookie dough.
Quickly and carefully (so as not to mash them) mix in the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks.
If you are freezing the cookies, form in to the size ball that you want. Place the balls on a plate so that they are not touching. Place the plate of cookie balls with a loose covering of plastic wrap in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. When the balls have hardened and are no longer super-sticky, move them into a freezer-ready package (freezer bag or other type of freezer container). Use as you would any other frozen cookie ball. Remove as many as you wish and bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes (small cookies) or 22-25 minutes (larger ones). Watch the baking time as it will vary based on the size of your cookie, how frozen/cold the cookie dough, and your oven. The photo above shows the golden brown tinges that you are looking for to determine “doneness”.
If you are baking the cookies right away, shape into balls. (I use my ice cream scoop when wickedly lazy and wish for large cookies. It works great with this recipe. I might just have to invest in the little cookie scoops.)
Place the cookies on a cookie sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 11-13 minutes for small cookies or for 15 – 18 minutes for large ones.
Remove from the oven when the top begins to turn golden brown. (See the photo above.) Allow the cookies to cool for 3-4 minutes before attempting to move them on to a cooling rack. Cool and pack for transport to work (or to a hiding place in the kitchen for your secret stash of goodness).

*If you visit her website she has a recipe for her GF flour, or just use your usual method of flours.
Kels handled that part so I don't know which ones we used.

2 comments:

  1. I can verify that these are, indeed, good. In fact, if you come to church tomorrow you can get one after the service to have with your coffee or tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I am definitely going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive