Sunday, March 20, 2011

Honey, I'm home!

*NOTE* This post was written over the course of...3(?) days. So it might seem a little wonky.
The internet here is ridiculous. You click on the page and it appears just as quickly as you click. It still is amazing me 24 hours later.
Ready for a tale of the last couple days?

Wednesday morning I went to bed late. That's right, I was so excited about coming home that I didn't get to bed until very very late. It didn't help that I had to wake up early which meant that my internal alarm clock starting waking me up starting at 4:30.

I had gotten everything ready to go the night before so all I did was get dressed, brush my teeth and I was out of there. A kind soul had woken up early to drive me to the ferry(love you, buddy) and I conversed with a boy on the trip over. All the while feeling like death since my body is getting quite used to going to bed early..and sleeping late.

On the other side I had some time to kill so I had my first mcdonalds meal in over two months. Yumm. Normally I wouldn't eat there, but I am a sucker for their breakfast menu.
And I got a cocoa cappucino from Starbucks to keep me going through the day.

Can't say there was much in the way of interesting events on the trip, and I don't want to bore you with all the little details. I did have a 3 1/2 hour layover in Vancouver, but I spent almost the entire time in a mcdonalds staring into space. So no excitement there.

I got in to Kamloops at 11:20 pm. Mama picked me up. Got home and..nothing had changed.
Just a little bit disappointing. I tried to go to bed as quick as I could but when I finally settled down I could not sleep. I don't know if was because of the three cups of caffeine I had drank that day or the fact that my mattress here is way softer than my mattress at home(camp) and it was actually so comfortable it felt uncomfortable for me. So I got back up out of bed and starting organizing and decluttering my room. At about 2 am I crawled back into bed and managed to drift off.

BAM!
Do you know what is wrong with getting into a healthy sleep pattern of going to sleep at a certain time and waking up at a certain time? It means that even when you go to sleep really late one night your body will still wake up at the early hour it is accustomed to, even if you feel like death!
I started the death off right with a nice breakfast and began to plunk away at the massive to do list that I started writing as soon as I figured out I was coming home last month.
One of the biggest things on this list was all the food I wanted to make.
You see, I live in an apartment to technically I could do alot of baking and cooking but A. It's sad cooking for one. B.I don't want to go out and purchase all the ingrediants myself. Here I can just use the neverending supply of product that my mother keeps in her kitchen.

After lunch I went into town to..SEE MY NEW CAR! My lovely brother Cade works at a mechanic shop in Valleyview and one of his clients decided that they didn't want to pay for all of the work to be done to a car, so they sold it to Cade(in a round about way) and Cade managed to find a way to fix it for basically nothing. Of course he is still going to do some work on it but it's like the cheapest this car could possibly be for the year and make it is.

I then went to the Orthodontist. Yay. That's always fun. He told me that my teeth are where they should be and my jaw is where it should be but for some reason there are still problems so I will stuck with my brace face for at least a couple months longer. I'm okay with that.

I had only put 3 quarters in the parking meter and I was already 20 minutes late so I picked my sandals up and hightailed it back to the van in my barefeet. Thankfully there was no ticket. Wouldn't that be ironic if I got a ticket my first day back driving after two and half month.

I ran a few errands and then headed to the University. I had a reserved table for one at one of the Bistros the culinary arts programs puts on as a sort of test for the second year students.
Of course it was not by accident that I went on the night that my best friend would be cooking.
I would have had some pictures of the food I had, but...someone I know came in and sat at a table next to me. And although taking pictures of food in front of strangers is okay, in front of people you actually know is a big NO :).

It was actually quite fun. *Almost* all the food was amazing. And the appearance of it was so elegant, it was like dining at a five star but only paying for half a star.
And don't worry, Bestie didn't cook the one thing I had a problem with.

Thursday night after the dinner I did shome shopping and headed over to my brothers house to pop and in say hello before heading home for an early bedtime. But what was supposed to be a quick hi turned into a long discussion so I didn't go to bed for awhile even though every part of my body wanted me to be off in slumber land already.

Friday morning I finally went for my car. I got it transfered to my name and bought insurance but then spent an hour just wasting time in the waiting room of Cades shop. I don't know if it was because I didn't want to attempt standard after being off it for so long, I didn't want to exhert the energy of screwing the license plates on, or I actually like hanging out in a dirty, stinky mechanics shop? But being back in a standard didn't feel weird, it actually felt pretty good.

Later that day I went out shopping with Behn. Oh my gosh. Just thinking back to that trip drains me of energy. A little bit of back story:
I am the caretaker of the boys house. I clean it, organize it, take away the recylables, tell them to do things. So before I left in January I got this fabulous idea that Behn should buy a cutlery set. And MATCHING DISHES! So I told him this before I left, thinking that since I got the ball rolling he could continue on his own. But that so did not happen.
I texted a couple weeks later to see how it was going, this is the reply I got, "I think I am just going to wait until you come home, I might end up picking the wrong ones". Um, they are for your house, buddy, how can you go wrong if you are picking the kind you like?
I didn't say this to his face...or to his phone, but you can now see why my brothers need me in their lives. So, all this time I have anticipated coming home and going shopping with Behn when just a few weeks ago a thought dawned on me. Behn is pretty well off, and the couches and table are not so well off, so maybe I can weasel him into replacing those too!
I am an excellent lawyer, I made an amazing case, and those items were added to the list.

Although four lines on a to buy list might look small, when you are actually in the process it takes a long time. Like 3 hours long time. The couch part was pretty fun, even kind of like a cardio work out. Walk, walk, sit, walk, walk, sit. I had it down to a science. I sit down, give it about two seconds of consideration and if it isn't holding my attention I move on. Ironically, we ended up choosing the first couch Behn sat down in...but we didn't come to the decision until three stores and 2 gazillion couches later. We got a table and chair set at Jysk. I already made up my mind that we were going to look there and only there for a table so if we had to settle we would have to be okay with that. And it was a good deal, although when we stupidly checked prices at Citywide we found a better deal. Oh well.

The cutlery set was a steal. Like literally a steal. Awkward pause..ha ha just kidding, we aren't that poor. And the dishes look simple amazing on the new table (can you tell this sort of thing makes me super excited?).

The rest of the night was pretty much just building the table and chairs, it's harder than it looks, folks. Oh and trying Champagne, cause that's on my spring break to do list.
Except Champagne isn't really called champagne it's called sparkling wine, and so it didn't seem as magical. I stayed up 'til 2 am purposely cause even though I was beyond super tired, I really really really wanted to sleep in the next morning so I had to push myself as far as I could.

Luckily I did sleep in. It was nice. And the rest of the day I just chilled out. And hung with Bestie. We had fun, like always. And watched a classic movie for the first time.
Who even enjoys 'Breakfast At Tiffany's'? I just could not get into it.
But like before, it was on the to do list so I had to suffer through it.

And now, here we are at Sunday. I went to church, played soccer, hung out at C&C.
You are officially caught up on my Spring break so far.
At the end of the week I am going to post my to do list. Everything should be crossed off by that time.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about Breakfast at Tiffany's. I have no idea why its supposed to be such a "classic".

    Hate to break it to you, but the new cutlery will probably never be set properly on that lovely new table...don't they just eat sitting on the couch? The table is for storage! ;)

    ReplyDelete

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive