Sunday, November 14, 2010

Haiti. The Third.

Day 7:
Memories of Saturday are escaping me.
But we did do a big distribution to the ladies of Renault, one of the biggest slums they have in the area.
Renault is where the Wrays have a big Sunday School feeding program every Sunday so they have built a courtyard with a big concrete wall around it topped off with razor wire.
The ladies came in little groups, some shy others not shy at all. They all sat down on benches and then we passed a bag out to each of them. They all remained seated until everybody got one and then everybody filed out.

Day 8:
We had to wake up and leave really early in order to pick up the food and the Haitian youth team before heading out to Renault again, this time to do the feeding program.
Before they started letting the children into the courtyard everyone gathered in a circle and sang as the deer and then we prayed together.

Then we stood out by the gate and shook all the kids hands as they came streaming in.
Our team mostly just watched for the first part, as they sang songs and had a puppet show but then we sang a song for them. And passed out plates of bean, rice and a candy.

I was holding a baby during this and I am really a bad judge of knowing how old children are and what they should be doing at certain ages but it seemed to me like she was too young to be having rice and beans but my was she hungry.

After everything was cleaned up we headed back to the Wrays house in Cayes where we had some lunch and a few people 'swam' in the pool.

And then Debbie gave us a tour of the hospital they have set up. I never got to see it the last time I was in Haiti so it was nice to see everything they have done there.

Day 9+10:
Not much to report here. Just more of the work projects.
Which included the previously mentioned chain link fence and painting but there was also electricians work in the Wrays new house and some ceiling work, making huge long ceiling beams out of rebar and then carrying them across the property to the orphanage(that part was possibly the worst.) changing oil in machines and other such mechanical work, cement pouring.

Day 11:
This is where things started getting interesting.
We only did a couple of hours of work that morning. Just finishing up the projects we had started. I had a lot of fun that day cause I swore I would not do any painting. I did tough manly projects instead. Like jack hammer a cement wall. It was pretty intense. I wore away some of the skin on my hand. It hurt.

Since we finished early we had time to go visit the aids orphanage in Welsh that we did a VBS at and helped pour the cement roof on two years ago.
Those of us who went on the trip last time were shocked when we saw the property. Nothing looked the same. Last time there had only been a small unpainted guesthouse with three rooms, and unfinished church and the start of the orphanage. We drive up and there are buildings everywhere! And everything was painted a bright cheery yellow. We felt embarrassed to say that we had helped at all since the part we had done in comparison seemed small and unimportant.

It was good seeing Max again. He is the one who had the inspiration to build the orphanage since he himself has aids. And he has put up most of the funding for everything himself.
We listened to him talk about the plans he has for the future and all the blessings he has had in his life, it was very encouraging to hear.

We had lunch back at the camp and then went into Cayes for a tour of the market and some of the slums and then we went shopping! I say this with an exclamation when it reality I did not enjoy it at all. For some reason shopping lately is more painful for me then fun. I got the things I 'needed' to get as quick as possible. And then with the headache of it over I had fun joking with the sellers. Although I did start to have fun with the bartering. Initially it terrified me and I tried to get other people to do it for me.

That day was actually Ryan K's birthday so that night we had fireworks to celebrate and invited a lot of the children from the village to come watch with us. It was so entertaining to watch them be terrified of the loud noises only to start smiling and laughing when they saw all the light and color. Then there was a big bonfire and a bunch of people stayed out there for a long time. But, this is when my problems started.

I had noticed before dinner that I was starting to get some red dots on my stomach and I had no idea what they were from. But as I was outside they started to itch and then my head started to itch so I was doing a lot of scratching. And because of this I started to panic. I went back inside and I pulled up my shirt to investigate.

It looked a little something like this.



I took some bendryl and most of it went away.
I went to sleep.

1 comment:

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive