Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hypocritical speech, anyone?

So, I'm not very good at this sort of thing. But I have had it on my mind for...like months now and my theory is that if I actually write it down and get it out there than it will float away and never return again.

It's like a combination of God and spelling...okay and pet peeves.
Bah.
This is already going downhill.
:).

I would have to say that English was my favorite subject in school. Either that or History. And I like to think that I am pretty good at spelling and words and such. So, it's pretty annoying to me when people misuse or misspell words.

There is one word in particular that when misused I want to stranglehold the speaker. And this is where to hypocritical part comes in because, honestly speaking, I use this word all the time too. But I do usually cringe when I say it, and I say it for lack of a better exclamation.

Awesome.

There. It's not that big of a deal, eh?
But let's pull out some Greek and Latin.
Just kidding.  Maybe just some dictionary

awesome
[aw-suhm]
-adjective
1. inspiring awe: an awesome sight
2. showing or characterized by awe.

Okay...so what's Awe?

awe
[aw]
-noun
1. an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures.
2. Archaic. power to inspire fear or reverence.
3.Obsolete. fear or dread.


Somehow I'm t
hinking the new movie that's at the top of the box office sales is no longer in that category. I'm sure there are those who would argue with me on that though :).

It just frustrates me when people use the wrong words for things. And sometimes just plain not knowing what they are saying.
Guys, I never went to school a day in my life and even I know these things!

Okay, Hannah's pathetic rant is now done.

p.s. this is what is truly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive