Thursday, December 6, 2012

Technical difficulties.

When I wrote the last post, I wasn't meaning for my blog to be one of those things that I gave up for the duration on project to-do list, but it kind of ended up that way. In a round about way.

One of the things that wasn't technically on my list, but needed to be done, was bringing in my laptop for repairs. I will admit that I don't treat my belongings as well as I should, and I have a habit of stepping on, or dropping my computer. It's horrible, I know.

The latest time that I happened to be so careless, the consequences were harsher than usual. My poor baby decided it was time to 'fight back' in a way. By coming apart. Not totally, but the hinge broke...it's hard to explain. So I hauled my computer up to Future Shop to get it checked out before it ended up doing something like dying and losing all of my pictures forever (not sure if that is possible, but I'm not a techie.).

I took it in, I'd never done anything like this before so I was new to the procedure of this sort of thing. Apparently the technician was pretty new to this whole thing to. He told me they would take a look and call me in a couple days with a diagnosis.

He was right about that at least. He phoned two days later, telling me that they had to send it to Vancouver and it would take about a week in total, if all went well and I approved of the cost of repairs.

That's when this whole thing turned sour.
Can I just say that I cannot live without my computer?
I'm not that desperate girl who needs to check Facebook every two minutes, it's more than that. My life is on that computer, and the last 2 1/2 weeks have proved that. Oh, yes, that's right. I said two and a half weeks. Why? Cause they lied to me. But let me continue.

I have systems...that only work with my computer. I have lists....that only exist on the computer. I have saved information that I use on a day to day basis....on that computer. I have recipes that were on the to do list...that are on that computer. It seemed like every time I turned around to do something, I had to stop in my tracks since some valuable part of the process was a four hour drive away.

I got by, with an ipod touch, a borrowed laptop, and a countdown until the one week would be up. But that came and went, and still no word from the Future Shop here or the repair centre in Vancouver. I left it a couple extra days and then went in to check for updates.

Well, he checked for me. And it turns out that usually it takes a week just for the computer to arrive in Vancouver! And at that point it had arrived, but hadn't been looked at yet. Oh my word. I didn't even know what to say. Thank you. That's probably what I said. Canadians, I tell you. Even when they are upset and confused and frustrated, they still manage to maintain politeness.

So I waited some more.
Finally, yesterday I got a phonecall from a very hard to understand man in Vancouver, who told me that for this problem to be fixed I would have to put down $350. I laughed. Maybe half thinking it was a joke. But of course it wasn't. I told him there was no way I was paying that much for a repair on a computer that was not even worth that much anymore. So he's sending it home to me, unfixed. Hopefully I will get it in a week...and then I can laugh at the fact that I went through all of this pain and stress, and nothing came out of it.

Just kidding, I won't laugh. But you are allowed to laugh right now if you want.

In the mean time, I'm going to go sigh over new computers online and pretend I can drop the cash to buy one.

The one good thing that came out of the last couple weeks is, at least my To Do list is the best it's ever looked. As in, it's looking pretty empty :).

1 comment:

  1. Just man up and buy a new one. Transfer all your dang lists and get on with life.

    ReplyDelete

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive