Monday, January 2, 2012

4 ways to stick to your New Year's Resolutions.

"Some 44 percent of Americans make New Year's Resolutions, but although resolutions are fun to make, they're hard to keep. To help yourself keep yours, try these strategies:

1. Be specific. "Make more friends" and "Strengthen friendships" are vague resolutions. Make yours more concrete: "Remember birthdays," "Make plans," or "No gossip".

2. Write it down.

3. Review your resolution constantly. If your resolution is buzzing through your head, it's easier to stick to.

4. Hold yourself accountable. Tell other people about you resolution, join or form a like-minded group, score yourself on a daily chart-- whatever helps make you feel accountable." -The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

I needed a new calender for the year 2012, so I stopped by the calender store in the mall which was of course having big sales. I spent a lot of time in there. There were so many that I wanted, but I couldn't narrow it down. For some reason I felt as if this was a huge deal. I spent so much time in there that the cashier even made a remark about it. Boy, did I feel silly.
I treated myself to a daily flip calender as well, because it seemed like something that would help me on this whole road of appreciation and thankfulness.



Of course, I've cheated and looked ahead already to get an idea of what it's all about.
Some are applicable, some are confusing but I'll work them out as I get to them, such is life, no?

I won't be writing down each one every day but I'm sure throughout the year I will be posting some of the really good ones, like yesterdays:

"Happiness comes not from having more, not from having less, but from wanting what you have"

I think that was perfect advice, for anyone, but especially for me, going into this season of trying to save every penny for traveling when I feel like going out and buying things every weekend.


1 comment:

  1. That's a wonderful point and an excellent way to keep track of your new year resolution. I have yet to come up with mine, but since this blog post is dedicated to such a cause I shall list them here.

    1. Read more, to at least read Plato, and Aristotle's literature.
    2. Write more. I'm happy when I write, and I don't do it enough.
    3. Appreciate everyone more. This is something I struggle with because I enjoy diving into the metaphysical deeper questions of life. I need to able to appreciate everyday pleasures like good food, hockey games, and jersey shore (meh).
    4. Develop a low spending lifestyle. This I'm already well on my way. I need to prepare for university, and since I plan to adventure and travel everyday spending like going out to eat, and even things such as cell phone charges must be given up. Also I'm skipping buying fashionable clothing and sticking with suits that can easily be picked up at good will.

    I really enjoyed your blog post keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive