Sunday, August 21, 2011

These are the facts.

I was in a bad mood.
For most of the day.


I am terrible at starting fires.


Here is the story.


So, we as support staff(story on that coming later) had to make fires around the camp for hobo dinners.


*pause*
A hobo dinner is where the children put together potatoes, carrots, meat and a few other items together into a fire proof tin foilish type dish and they put it straight into the coals of the fire to cook.


Again I repeat, I am terrible at making fires, so I had to get a CIT to help me.
The bell had just rung and I was freaking out because our fire had not even been started yet and to properly cook the meals you need just coals.
I sent the CIT to start the fire with the little kindling we had made and I would chop some more and follow.


Again I repeat, I was in a bad mood.
A lesson for all you kids out there: Please don't try and chop kindling while you are mad and frustrated.
I really can't recall how it happened exactly, and the fact that the axe I was using is quite dull scares me.
But all I know is I gashed my thumb with the axe, and it's a good thing that Josh was downstairs cutting wood with me or else I might have just crumpled into a ball instead going to get it cleaned and checked out.


Blood freaks me out. This is coming from the girl who when she was 9 wanted to become a nurse. I guess it's a good thing that in the 9 years since I have convinced myself otherwise.
When it is my own blood it is made just that much worse, I have to deal with the pain and blood at the same time and I always blow things up to be bigger than they seem.


Maybe not so much in this case, cause apparently they were that bad. Not as bad as they could be, of course. But bad enough that both Josh and the nurse agreed that I needed stitches.


So that started the adventure of three friends hanging out for the last time.
Me.
Joel.
Jolene.
Although for this story I almost feel as if I should call them Mom and Dad, cause they certainly acted the part.


We managed to leave camp with enough time to catch the ferry(one of the down sides to living on an island, you kind of have to plan your accidents around the BC ferries schedule.


Straight up to the hospital we went.
I had been doing pretty well up 'til that point anxiety wise, but arriving at the hospital kind of got my heart racing again.
It's not really the stitches I was concerned about. It was the Anesthetic. I have a pretty big problem with needles. It didn't help when he told me it would hurt alot. Haha, what kind of doctor says that! He already knew I was uncomfortable with the idea of him sticking a sharp object into my body. But once the freezing took effect I was fine and dandy, and I actually spent the time he was stitching me up...laughing.

As a nice consolation prize for getting 5 stitches in the side of my thumb, we went to McDonalds for supper.
Let me tell you, a hot fudge sundae has never tasted so good.

Waiting for the Doctor to work his magic.
P.s. I really wanted to show you a picture of it, but I felt that might be to much. It does look pretty bad.

Also, blogger is not being my friend so I'm sorry if there are large gaps or the pictures are all over the place. I'll try to fix it once I have more sleep in me.

2 comments:

  1. Large gaps.
    :o

    Hope you feel better!

    Some doctors are like that.. they try to be funny.

    ReplyDelete

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive