Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I heart Ranch Camp.

We are almost done July already. Crazy.
And it doesn't even really feel like I have been a part of many camps yet, but I know is HAS been a steady stream of busy, and I'll try and give a brief update here.

The first camp was Eager Beavers. Roughly ages 6-8, although why any parent would want to send away their 6 year old is beyond me.
I was so excited for this camp.
Ask anybody here, I had been talking about it for all of spring pretty much.
But then it came.
And it wasn't really as great as I had hoped for.
Okay, to be honest, it kind of tanked.

I'm not sure if I just wasn't prepared in the right way, but it just seemed for the most part that I was always have to deal with problems and never had time to just enjoy my girls and have fun.
So by the end of that short week I was feeling pretty discouraged. And when the opportunity came to be Crew Chief rather than be a counselor for the day camps, I jumped at the chance.

As Crew Chief I did my favorite thing, CLEANING! And I even got to boss people around, so I thoroughly enjoyed myself during the rest of the week.

The next week we had our first family camp of the summer. And it was a lot of fun. I didn't really have much to do besides helping out in Chapel group ages 5-8, oh and I taught my new favorite activity PLASTER MOTTOES. Pretty sweet since it's pretty straightforward how to paint them, so I just sit around talking. Best. Job. Ever. :D

But also during the week I was able to see some familiar Kamloops faces which of course made my week that much better. Nothing like seeing a little bit of home to make you smile.

But in the way of best weeks of camp ever, I would have to say that this week might top the list. Although I better not say it now since we are only two days in and I might jinx it for myself.

Before I explain how sweet Ranch camp is I will pause here for a commercial break.

"Have you ever wondered how it possible to run a summer camp on a tiny island that is only commutable by ferry? Wonder no more! With just one simple click you will be redirected to the camps very own blog written by the one and only Rita Harder who just so happens to be the wife of the camp director. In the particular post you will be able to read about all of the four different camps going on right now, and how we manage to keep it organized."

So. Horses.
Before I came to camp I had not been around horses much at all. And I was quite fascinated by them. I would up to the barn as much as possible to help out and to ride them. Then in April I had a not so pleasant experience and I hadn't been up to the barn since. Quite sad if you ask me.
But Monday I went up there for the first time. It was...a bit of a stretch but I made it through and I even petted some of the horses. I hope slowly I will be able to get back to being comfortable enough to ride again.

But yeah, my girls are super sweet. And for the most part well behaved. And they are old enough that I don't have to be worrying about them or instructing them through a step by step process of getting ready in the morning. I've had so much fun already and we have not even had two whole days together yet.
Probably my favoritest wrangler ever.




Wearing my own cowboy hat. Thought I would never see the day.

1 comment:

  1. Emmy will be pleased to hear that the cowgirl in you is coming out.

    ReplyDelete

This is where you comment. In case you were getting confused.

Blog Archive